Laboratory № 2 — Hydrophilic Polymers
Phone: (812) 328-68-79
Head of the Laboratory: Prof. E.F. Panarin, Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Chemical Sciences, scientific leader of the Institute
Development of scientific basis of synthesis of hydrophilic functional polymers, study of their structure, properties and intrinsic biological activity. Investigation of reactions of water-soluble polymers containing various functional groups (both with model compounds and with small/macromolecular biologically active compounds). Establishing the relationship between chemical structure and biological activity of polymers, study of the influence of macromolecular nature and bond types on biological properties of the substances modified with synthetic and natural polymers. Development of polymeric nanostructured systems and nanocomposites intended for use in biology and medicine.
Lines of research
- Development of synthetic methods for hydrophilic functional monomers, studies of their homopolymerization and copolymerization, synthesis of water-soluble and crosslinked reactive polymers, studies of their structure, properties, and intrinsic biological activity.
- Investigation of processes and mechanisms of formation and transformation of water-soluble polymers containing various functional groups in reactions with low molecular weight and macromolecular model compounds and biologically active substances.
- Establishing the relationship between chemical structure and biological activity of polymers, study of the effects of macromolecular nature and bond types on biological properties of the compounds modified with polymers.
- Development and study of nanostructured polymer-based systems, nanocomposites and target drug delivery systems for biology and medicine.
- Synthesis of water-soluble polymeric complexing agents for binding metal ions, including radioactive ions, which can be used as diagnostic and therapeutic systems.